The American School Health Association provides professional development opportunities for all those associated with school health programs. A variety of professional development options include: conferences, self-study and webinars to ensure accessibility. The American School Health Association provides a variety of continuing education including:
- Provider of Continuing Education Contact Hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. (NCHEC) (#97998). CECH earned through ASHA Continuing Education Opportunities are reported to NCHEC on a quarterly basis.
- Accredited provider of NAPNAP Contact Hours by the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (NAPNAP), Agency Provider #A22.
- NAPNAP Contact Hours are for anyone who works with children. NAPNAP is listed under the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) accreditation. If you are certified by ANCC, at least 50% (37.5 hours) of your 75 continuing education hours must be formally approved continuing education hours. Formally approved continuing education hours meet the criteria if provided by one of these accepted agencies: American Nurses Association, American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA), American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), American College of Nurse midwives (ACNm), American Psychiatric Association (APA), American Psychological Association (APA), American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA), Emergency Nurses Association (ENA), National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health (NPWH), National Association of Pediatric Nurse Associates and Practitioners NAPNAP). (Access this information on ANCC’s web site, list of other criteria is on page 5 of the document)
- Supports the IC&RC Prevention Specialist credential
- Provides participation certificates for submission to other certifying bodies.
The American School Health Association is pleased to offer a variety of different continuing education opportunities including:
- Journal of School Health self-studies*
- All self study offerings are based on selected Journal of School Health articles and answering 10 multiple choice questions. Click here to view an example (PDF).
- Live and on-demand* webinars
- Annual School Health Conference
Each of these opportunities provides the latest in school health research and practice including evidence-based, trauma-informed, medically accurate, and developmentally appropriate programs, policies, and practices.
*eligible for NCHEC continuing competency
ASHA members receive free continuing education hours.
Non-members can purchase CEs at $20/hour ($10/hour for participation certificates). Non-members can purchase CEs from ASHA’s Annual School Health Conference for a flat fee of $50.
How to Purchase Continuing Education Contact Hours
All ASHA CE Offerings are available for purchase from the ASHA online store. To purchase the materials, click on the title you wish to purchase on this page. It will take you to that product in the online store where you will proceed to checkout. Upon completing your purchase, you will receive an email with further instructions on obtaining your CE certificate.