The American School Health Association provides professional development opportunities for all those associated with school health programs. A variety of professional development options include: conferences, self-study and webinars to ensure accessibility. The American School Health Association provides the following continuing education:
- Provider of Continuing Education Contact Hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. (NCHEC) (#97998). CECH earned through ASHA Continuing Education Opportunities are reported to NCHEC on a quarterly basis.
- Accredited provider of NAPNAP Contact Hours by the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (NAPNAP), Agency Provider #A22.
- NAPNAP Contact Hours are for anyone who works with children. NAPNAP is listed under the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) accreditation. If you are certified by ANCC, at least 50% (37.5 hours) of your 75 continuing education hours must be formally approved continuing education hours. Formally approved continuing education hours meet the criteria if provided by one of these accepted agencies: American Nurses Association, American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA), American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), American College of Nurse midwives (ACNm), American Psychiatric Association (APA), American Psychological Association (APA), American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA), Emergency Nurses Association (ENA), National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health (NPWH), National Association of Pediatric Nurse Associates and Practitioners NAPNAP). (Access this information on ANCC’s web site, list of other criteria is on page 5 of the document)
- Supports the IC&RC Prevention Specialist credential
- Provides participation certificates for submission to other certifying bodies.
The American School Health Association is pleased to offer different continuing education opportunities through our Learning Center including:
- Journal of School Health self-studies*
- All self study offerings are based on selected Journal of School Health articles and answering 10 multiple choice questions.
- On-Demand Webinars
- On-demand webinars are previously recorded webinars that can be watched on your own time followed by an assessment with 10 multiple choice questions.
We also offer continuing education through our Annual School Health Conference and live webinars.
Each of these opportunities provides the latest in school health research and practice including evidence-based, trauma-informed, medically accurate, and developmentally appropriate programs, policies, and practices.
*eligible for NCHEC continuing competency
ASHA members receive free continuing education hours.
Non-members can purchase CEs at $20/hour ($10/hour for participation certificates). Non-members can purchase CEs from ASHA’s Annual School Health Conference for a flat fee of $50.