Criteria for signing on to
“On the Spot” (OTS) requests:
- The issue supports the core values of ASHA.
- The values of the originator of the request are aligned with those of ASHA.
- The values of the other co-signers are aligned with those of ASHA on this specific issue.
- ASHA has supported the issue in the past, it is still relevant, and it still meets other criteria.
- It the issue is a bill, it doesn’t include amendments or other aspects that ASHA doesn’t support.
Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids
- Urging Appropriations leaders to fund the CDC’s Office on Smoking & Health (OSH) at the House-passed funding level of $250 million for FY22. This would be a $12.5 million increase from FY21
- Support an increase in funding for CDC’s Office on Smoking and Health to $310 million in FY22
- Support for Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester’s (D-DE) Quit Because of COVID-19 Act, which expands coverage of evidence-based tobacco cessation treatments under Medicaid and CHIP
- Letter to Secretary of Health and Human Services Xavier Becerra supporting strong action by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on e-cigarettes
- A coalition ad that will run in the Washington Post in support of the Biden Administration’s commitment to prohibit menthol cigarettes.
NASSP and SHAPE America
- Supporting Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene’s removal from the House Education and Labor Committee
CDC, NGA, AFT, NEA
- Encouraging the prioritization of school personnel as essential workers and encouraging vaccination
Human Rights Campaign
- Express opposition to anti-transgender legislation
Power to Decide
- Calling on Congress to protect federal investments in evidence-based teen pregnancy prevention programs
Advocates for Youth
- A House Resolution to support the goals and ideals of the month of May as Sex Ed For All Month: Equity and Access for All.
- Consensus Statement on the Core Tenets of Chronic Condition Management in Schools
- Call to action to stand with public health
Healthy Schools Network
- Urging congress to fund US EPA on school air/ventilation and children’s environmental health
Eating Disorders Coalition for Research, Policy & Action
- Improving Mental Health and Wellness in Schools Act (H.R. 5526/S. 2930) led by Reps. Manning (D-NC), Hartzler (R-MO) and Sens. Klobuchar (D-MN) and Lummis (R-WY)
- Letter to House and Senate Appropriations Committee leaders urging them to include at least the House-passed level of $10.5 B for CDC in any final FY 2022 appropriations package
IDSA, TFAH, and CMSS
- Letter in support of continuing the current federal requirement for mask wearing on public transportationAdvocates for
Advocates for Youth, the Center for Reproductive Rights, Healthy Teen Network, Physicians for Reproductive Health, Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Power to Decide, SIECUS
- Support for a bill that affirms the right for young people to access sex education and sexual health services that are medically accurate, confidential, evidence based and culturally responsive