Helping Kids Be Kids: Leveraging Unstructured Play and Experiential Learning for SEL
June 24th at 2:30-3:30pm EST
Presented by Ashley Green and Jillian Papa from Action for Healthy Kids
Kids need more time to learn alongside peers, explore, and simply be kids! Action for Healthy Kids (AFHK) developed innovative partnerships with fifteen schools to increase unstructured free time and experiential learning at school through policies, systems, and environmental changes to support the whole child. We learned that the power of play and experiential learning was key to unlocking our children’s greatest potential. Discover ways to make the most of what you’re doing and leverage physical activity, play, nutrition and health education as vehicles for social-emotional learning!
- Understand the impact of unstructured play and experiential learning on the various components of the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child model framework.
- Understand how increased access to physical activity and play supports the development of social emotional competencies and nurturing peer-peer relationships.
- Understand how increased access to optimal nutrition and health education supports the development of social emotional competencies and nurturing relationships.
- Understand the resources and support available through Action for Healthy Kids.
Primary WSCC Component: Social and Emotional School Climate
Secondary WSCC Component: Family Engagement
- Webinar Recording
- Webinar Slides
- Experiential Learning Tip Sheet
- Making the Connection-SEL and Physical Activity
- Making the Connection-SEL and Nutrition
You may earn Continuing Education by attending the live webinar. ASHA members get free continuing education hours included with membership, non-members will have the opportunity to purchase certificates after the webinar. Not sure if you’re a current ASHA member, email email@example.com.