Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:00pm-4:00pm ET
You Are the Key to Cancer Prevention
Presented by Mary Koslap-Petraco, DNP, PNP-BC, CPNP, FAANP, Immunization Action Coalition
Cervical and head and neck cancers caused by human papilloma virus (HPV) are on the rise but most are preventable with HPV immunization. School nurses and other health care professionals who work in schools can make an impact by learning all they can about the diseases caused by HPV, and how to prevent them by ensuring that adolescents are immunized. Using communication skills learned in this activity, participants will be able to effectively communicate the benefits of HPV immunization.
- Identify causes of HPV and why best available evidence supports HPV vaccination to prevent associated cancers
- Identify the ACIP guidelines to appropriately implement HPV immunization
- Identify methods to utilize during patient encounters to encourage parents to vaccinate their children
- List evidence based web resources to support immunization practice and share with parents who have HPV immunization questions
- Watch the webinar on YouTube
- Full Slide Deck in PDF
- CDC HPV’s webpage with more resources
- Use of a 2-Dose Schedule for Human Papillomavirus Vaccination – Updated Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (12/2016)
- Decision Tree for 2-dose schedule
1.0 Continuing education credits for CHES/MCHES and CNE for Nurses are approved for this webinar. Certificates of attendance can also be obtained. ASHA members get free continuing education certificates included with membership, non-members will have the opportunity to purchase certificates after the webinar for $30.