2020 Board of Directors Call for Nominations
About this Opportunity
The American School Health Association (ASHA) seeks candidates to serve on its Board of Directors.
- Board members are elected for two-year terms.
- Five individuals will be elected in 2019 to serve from 1/1/2020 through 12/31/2021.
- ASHA’s board of directors is a working board. Every board member will serve as a board officer or a chairperson of an organizational committee. These roles are decided by the board during their annual orientation meeting.
- Membership on the Board of Directors is open only to current, active members of ASHA.
ASHA believes that having many different perspectives and experiences strengthens us. To that end, we value diversity in race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, geography, skill and experience level, as well as roles, responsibilities, and work settings within the field of school health. We invite nominations in the spirit of inclusivity where all forms of diversity are seen as valuable.
ASHA seeks candidates for its board who can provide leadership and expertise in areas that support and develop our infrastructure helping us reach our mission to transform all schools into places where every student learns and thrives. We are especially interested in nominees who represent the diversity of the profession with expertise in and qualifications in areas such as:
- K-12 education
- Advocacy and government relations
- Collaboration and coalition building
- Fund development
- Marketing and communication
- Nonprofit governance
- Organizational leadership
- Professional development
- Research and publications
- Strategic planning
Nominees will be assessed on their commitment to the organization’s Core Beliefs, demonstrated leadership, skills, professional experiences, availability, capacity to serve, and ability to fulfill the duties of care, loyalty, and obedience. In selecting candidates for the board, the Nominating Committee looks at the composition of the full board to ensure a representative mix of individuals needed to lead the work outlined in our Strategic Framework.
Elected board members must be prepared to make the following commitments of time:
- Attend annual board orientation conference call in Nov/Dec 2019 (Date TBD) (2-hours, one time)
- Review materials in preparation for monthly board meetings (~1 hour, monthly)
- Attend board meetings conducted via conference call (90 minutes, monthly)
- Attend meetings of one board committee (finance or governance) (1 hour, monthly)
- Chair one organizational committee or serve as a board officer (~4-7 hours, monthly)
- Attend full-day, in-person board meeting the day before the ASHA Annual Conference (8 hours, once per year in October, ASHA is unable to reimburse for conference-related travel expenses)
Most board members will invest approximately six to eight hours each month, with variation throughout the year.
- Networking with other school health professionals
- Leadership development
- Reach and influence
- Recognition of service
- The satisfaction of providing public service
|Deadline to submit nominations||June 1|
|Vetting of nominees||June 17|
|Final approval of slate of nominees||June 18|
|Voting on slate by membership opens (open for 30 days)||July 1|
|Notification of results of election||August 1|
|ASHA Annual Conference and Board Meeting, Cincinnati OH
Note: those elected are strongly encouraged to participate as guests in the October meeting
|October 2-4, 2019|
|Board Orientation Meeting||On or before December 15|
|Two-year term of office begins||January 1, 2020|
To be considered for nomination, please send resume/CV (3-page limit) and application form to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1, 2019. Self-nomination is encouraged. To be eligible for election, nominees for the board must be members of the American School Health Association in good standing as of the date the slate of nominees is approved (June 18, 2019)